Principal's Blog: Term 1 Week 2
Thursday, 2 February 2023
Kia ora whānau
It was my absolute privilege to welcome the Marsden community to our first day of school together this new year.  It was wonderful to be able to gather, something we no longer take for granted, and to have the opportunity to do so with pōwhiri.  Kaikōrero Derek Kawhiti reminded us of the words of Samuel Marsden when he delivered New Zealand’s first sermon in the Bay of Islands in 1814, where he spoke fluently in Te Reo Māori, of laying down a legacy for the future.  This legacy statement resonated as we welcomed newcomers as tāngata whenua, belonging to and helping to shape the future legacy of Samuel Marsden Collegiate School.  Thank you to the huge contingent of caregivers and supporters who were able to join us at pōwhiri.

The school is in excellent heart and we are excited for the year ahead, working alongside every student and supporting them in becoming the best version of themselves they can possibly be.  The only thing that we ask is that every individual brings their personal best to all endeavours, and that they bring a healthy dose of never-out-of-fashion grit and grace when facing difficulties and challenges.  We have begun the year shining a light on strength and courage.  On their very first day, I invited new students to harness their natural nervousness and have it transform into a superpower that will boost them in courageously stepping into a new environment, making a new friend, or asking that burning question.  There is a happy, excited buzz about the place and plenty of smiling faces.

Earlier this week, we shared the exciting news that we have appointed Jenny Caldwell to the position of Deputy Principal.  Jenny will take up this leadership role at Marsden at the beginning of Term 2, following the departure of our much-loved and highly respected Academic Director, Margaret Adeane, who steps out of her role at the end of Term 1.  It will be a bittersweet moment in time as we will also be farewelling longstanding Community Development Manager, Martine Foster, whose role has been redistributed to current staff members, Dawn Morrison and Bridget Child.

Marsden’s legacy is undoubtedly the contribution of its trailblazing alumnae who continue to astound with incredible good works and deeds the world over.  On behalf of the Marsden school community, I extend our heartfelt congratulations to Dame Miranda Harcourt who has recently been named a Dame Companion of the NZ Order of Merit for her contributions to the screen industry and theatre.  Dame Miranda’s influence and contribution is immense, but in true Marsden spirit, we know her as the pragmatic, down to earth person who rolls her sleeves up and gets stuff done, regularly volunteering and running workshops for her old school.  An outstanding example to the trailblazing Marsden alumnae of the future. Ka rāwe e hoa!

I wish you all a happy and safe Waitangi weekend and extend awhi and aroha to all affected by the immense weather situation in the north of the country.  God Bless.

Ngā mihi nui
Paula Wells
Principal