Miranda Harcourt ONZM – Inducted 2011
Friday, 28 October 2011
Student at Marsden 1973 (Std 4) – 1980 (Upper 6th)
Receives this award in recognition of her work in the theatre and in other areas of the media.

Born into a theatrical family it was not unexpected that Miranda should choose an acting career and in 1982 she enrolled in the New Zealand Drama School.  A few years later she was starring in Gloss, winning a nomination as best supporting actress in 1989. Miranda has gone on to become one of the country’s leading and much loved actresses, winning many awards in her chosen profession. Her work in the community has also been recognized by the Media Peace Prize, a New Zealand Suffrage Medal, and a WCC Safer Communities Award.   She received the ONZM in 2002 for services to the theatre and community.

Miranda’s work has not only been involved with the stage and screen. She has written work, and performed in a wide variety of venues including in prisons where her interest in drama therapy has been put to good use. She has taught drama and from 1999 – 2007 was the Head of Acting at Toi Whakaari, and been an acting coach to international stars in a number of feature films.  

More recently Miranda has written and directed work with her mother, Kate Harcourt – Flowers from my mother’s garden, and with her husband, Stuart McKenzie – Biography of my skin, both of which deal with personal family issues. Together they have has also recently published a children’s book directed at preschoolers.

Miranda’s connection with the school has continued through her teaching activities, her attendance at Old Girls’ functions and most recently as a consultant on the new Creative Arts Centre.

Miranda’s adage “I want to do as much as I possibly can in as many media and not become addicted to any one” shows her deep understanding of the theatre world and the need to have a wide appreciation of all its facets in order to make a meaningful and positive contribution to the community and society.