Principal's Blog: Term 4 Week 9
Friday, 1 December 2023
Kia ora whānau
Welcome to our final newsletter of the year at this jubilant and anticipatory time. We are able to look back on the year that was and reflect upon all we have achieved and accomplished together whilst wondering where on earth that time has disappeared to? Just a few short days and sleeps remain before end of year celebrations, chaotic emptying of lockers, fond farewells and best wishes for holiday happiness. Our liturgies have told the story of advent, offered prayers of peace, hope, joy and love, and we have held more marginalised peoples in our hearts.

Marsden School is known for many things; our exceptional academic offering, our relentless pursuit of individual excellence, our warm and welcoming environment, and our ability to achieve across a wide variety of pursuits with our boutique size providing a family atmosphere where everyone is known and cared for. Despite this, I am constantly amazed at our immense capability. This week, I have had a window into the preparations for Carol Service and prizegivings with my crow’s nest-esque office providing the perfect location for glimpses of what’s to come…and I can tell you, you are in for a musical treat of magnificent proportions. I can’t wait!

Our final week of school presents a varied schedule for students as we prepare for our events. I ask that you follow our arrangements closely so you are across where and when our students are required. There will be a combination of school time and off-site time, including students being released from our care following rehearsals during the day from the Cathedral of St Paul on Monday 4 December and Pipitea Marae on Wednesday 6 December.  A detailed schedule can be found here. Please be sure to contact our office and/or absence line in the usual way so that we can be assured of the whereabouts of those we are responsible for at all times.

We know that transitions are important and poignant times, and I acknowledge that a number of our learners and their families will be adjusting to the prospect of change. Our Year 6 students will be acknowledged at our Primary School celebration next week, and although there will no doubt be sadness at stepping out of the security of their familiar environs, they are ready to step into the grown-up shoes of an independent Middle School wāhine toa. We had the privilege of celebrating our Middle School graduates this past week, with a stunning Whānau Dinner, marking their transition to Senior School and celebrating how ready and poised they are to embrace exciting next steps in their educational journey, for which they are more than ready. Our Year 13 graduates have a huge week ahead with celebrations aplenty, culminating in the iconic Marsden Leavers’ Ball at Te Papa next Saturday night. We look forward to celebrating our stunning, immensely capable soon to be Marsden alumnae, ready to take flight into a world of endless possibility. Manu Rere Ao.

Preparations are well in hand for 2024 with arrangements for the start of the year being finalised. We will be in touch with our first newsletter mid-January, which will include year-level handbooks containing all of the detail to support a successful transition into a new year-group and a new age and stage of learning, development and engagement. The school is all but fully staffed for the beginning of the year, and we continue to be busy with enrolments across year levels. We are very excited at the prospect of welcoming newcomers on Monday 5 February, and all learners will begin the year with pōwhiri on Wednesday 7 February, following Waitangi Day.

I wish you a safe, happy and rejuvenating school holiday break. 

Meri Kirihimete,