Telesia makes top 5 in International Chinese Speech Competition
Friday, 27 October 2023
Marsden is incredibly proud of Year 11 student Telesia Tanoa'i who is currently in China to compete in the Chinese Bridge Speech Competition. It is the first time since COVID that we have had a Marsden representative at this global event.

In May Telesia underwent two intense hours of competition in the Wellington Regional Chinese Bridge Speech Competition to win and make it through to the international competition in Beijing. 

Accompanied by Jing Ying Herrington, Marsden's Chinese language teacher, Telesia had a busy few days on arrival, with many interviews in Chinese. Contestants also toured famous attractions around Beijing, seeing the Great Wall, the Forbidden City and the Bird's Nest stadium before heading to Yunan for the competition.

After months of preparation, it was finally Telesia's moment and though very nervous, she did superbly well to perform to an appreciative crowd and impress the judges.

"Coming to China and representing New Zealand and the Pacific has already been a journey within itself and I am very honored and humbled to have made it to the top 30 students out of 110 after the second round and 2nd place in Oceania. This wouldn't be possible without my teacher, Ms Herrington who is always by my side on this journey and all the love and support from all my whanau and friends back at home. I will be thinking of them all when competing for the top 5 today."

Telesia has already had recognition for her Chinese language ability having twice been named Chinese Youth Ambassador by the New Zealand Chinese Language Week Charitable Trust.

Congratulations Telesia, you have been an outstanding ambassador for Marsden, your family, your culture, and New Zealand. We wish you the very best of luck for your Top 5 competition.