Principal's Blog: Term 4 Week 1
Monday, 9 October 2023
Kia ora whānau
Welcome to the first newsletter of Term 4. I trust students have had an opportunity to rest and rejuvenate these school holidays, and I know for some that travel, and new experiences were high on the agenda. Our Toin Gakuen travelling party is due to return imminently having spent the entire two weeks immersing themselves in Japanese culture, including living with host families and going to school.  Thank you to Deputy Principal Jenny Caldwell and Head of Middle School, Dianne Smith, for sacrificing their school holiday break to enable our students to experience this wonderful learning opportunity. My husband and I were incredibly blessed to join with extended family and friends last weekend, celebrating the wedding of our son at Mudbrick Winery on Waiheke Island at what was a wonderful gathering full of love, heartfelt sincerity, and lots of joy and laughter.

We begin Term 4 with a Teacher Only Day on Monday.  Our staff will be exploring aspects of the refreshed curriculum, including the concept of Mātauranga Māori, and continuing to strengthen our understanding of Te Ao Māori. Teachers will also be working in departments creating and refreshing curriculum resources including further development of our cross-curricular NCEA+ innovation which we are excited to be implementing at Year 11 next year. Our Primary school continues to focus on further development of our literacy and numeracy initiatives, and will be continuing to upskill themselves with KiVa, the evidence-based anti-bullying programme that we subscribe to. We look forward to our day of learning together.

Students will begin their term on Tuesday, which will begin with Mihi Whakatau directly following Form Time. This provides an opportunity for our whole school to gather together as Marsden community, immediately at the beginning of term, and to appropriately welcome newcomers.  We are delighted to be beginning another term with new students; Ruby in Year 4, Florence in Year 6, Lucy in Year 7, and Jennifer in Year 10.  Additionally, we welcome Adey who joined Year 1 at the end of Term 3, and we look forward to Vera joining Year 1 very soon.  We continue to enrol students for 2024 and look forward to our Term 4 Open Mornings in the very first week of term, with our Preschool/Primary Open Morning on Wednesday 11 October, followed by our Upper School Open Morning on Friday 13 October.  Please encourage anyone who might be considering a Marsden education for their daughter to register on our website, or contact our Enrolment Registrar at leigh.mccathie@marsden.school.nz

We know Term 4 to be a whirlwind for our senior students, with equal measures of excitement and nervous anticipation as they close out their academic year in advance of external examinations. Being intentional in caring for one's hauora will be essential, as will ensuring that our Year 13's are supported and encouraged in stepping out of their Marsden years in a mana-enhancing manner. I look forward to welcoming everyone back to school on Tuesday, the place alight with youthful exuberance, positivity and healthy measures of Marsden grit and grace as we bring our very best to all we do.  Ad Summa!